The Centre's Educational project has this goal: "The school that we believe in aims to educate people for life. In this microcosm that is our school, we propose that interaction and communication be the first pillar on which to found relationships".
Important features: social integration and inclusion
Integration may be related to many things. In a limited sense we can talk about school integration, pupils with special educational needs schooling in ordinary centres. Another meaning can be to guarantee these citizens equal opportunities as the others (education, access to work.), that definition links with inclusion and it is as we understand social integration.
To put it into practice we are associated with different schools and different institutions. Here there is a list of some of the activities we carry out:
- The centre shares the playground and sport pavilion with an ordinary school; they are located one beside the other. We sense that an important aspect of integration is related to architectural and space integration.
- We are enrolled in general educational programmes like: life together, health care, ICT, school library, innovation projects,
- Skiing trips, environmental projects, schooling exchanges, reading promotions, educational meetings.
- We participate with the other schools in town in local initiatives.
- We belong to the UNESCO Associated Schools Net and we develop some suitable proposal for our pupils.
- We prepare with mainstream centres activities like: festivals, exhibitions, theatre .
- We are associated with different schools for developing projects: pupils exchanges, sensory integration, psycomotricity, environmental, european..
- We do a lot of educational visits related to themes we teach at the school. We believe that educational visits give stimulus to the work undertaken in the classroom, they are an invaluable experience for our children and also they normalized the presence of pupils with special needs in society.
- We collaborated with: local and regional education, health care and social welfare services; associations of people with different disabilities, resources of labour market
For us social integration is to participate as much as it is possible in each case in social and active life.
We agree with these definitions of inclusion:
"Effective schools are educationally inclusive schools. This shows, not only in their performance, but also in their ethos and their willingness to offer new opportunities to pupils who may have experienced previous difficulties.
An educationally inclusive school is one in which the teaching and learning, achievements, attitudes and well-being of every young person matter.
The most effective schools do not take educational inclusion for granted. They constantly monitor and evaluate the progress all pupils make."
"Inclusion is seen to involve the identification and minimising of barriers to learning and participation and the maximising of resources to support learning and participation."
Booth and Ainscow, 2000
Some characteristics of the functioning of the school
To generate a frame of dialog between all the professionals and the educational community
To foment the active participation, which assures the implication in the School Educational Project
The teamwork: a key element.
Process of permanent training: a need and a challenge.
Coordination of the actions between family and school.